Saturday, April 9, 2011

rainy day ramblings


It is a lovely albeit cold rainy day, I spent some time this morning at the bookstore. Bookstores are one of my favorite hangouts. I especially love our local buy/sell/trade, they fairly recently put in a little cafe. It's so peaceful to spend a grey day in the bookstore sipping a nice warm drink browsing the shelves. There are always so many treasures to find. That is what I especially love about used bookstores, you can always find something special or two or three!

I am a big geek and enjoy all my tech toys, but I am not a fan of Kindles or Nooks or the like. I do think they could have their place in my life, say for travel. But I love having an actual book in my hand. I love my shelves of books that I have. Ever since I was a little girl I had a dream of having a library in my house. Like the kind you see in movies where they are floor to ceiling shelves and you have to have that rolling ladder to reach the tall ones. And to have that leather wing-back chair next to the fireplace, with the side table and a bottle of scotch. Picture perfect. I still dream of having that. To have a plethora of books for me and my children and anyone who pops by for a visit. With all of the bookstores and libraries closing it breaks my heart. I don't want my kids growing up without books. They are closing libraries in droves in the UK. It is so sad. I think of all the fond memories I have spent in the library when I was growing up. The smell of the books, card catalogs (lol), the lovely librarians, getting my own library card, the pride I felt in carrying that responsibility of those books. Now I am feeling incredibly nostalgic, so with my children off with their daddies for the weekend, I will curl up with a soft blanket, my 2 cats, and a good book, and lose myself in a wonderful story...

No comments:

Post a Comment